People Digging This Page :)

Sunday 14 August 2011

Happy Birthday to me.

So, I turn twenty today. Now I half seen one-fifth of a century. Whoa. Feels old and wise. Yesterday night was the last night I could be caught secretly wishing to be bitten by a supremely sexy vampire chick, so that I might stay nineteen forever. Stupid Twilight reference, I know. But to quote the tagline of one of my favourite vampire flicks, The Lost Boys, Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire.


No big party tonight. None, at least, that you need to know of. ;)
When I was a kid, which now seems ages ago, my birthday use to be a two-day annual extravagant affair. The 14th would have the big cake-cutting ceremony, followed by a series of games, that would include treasure hunts and quizzes (Yes, me and quizzes go a long way.), and a grand dinner. Blessed are the ways of the Lord, and our Constitution makers, and hence the celebrations would extend to the 15th, ending with a feast that shames Lupercal's. How I miss those simpler times. 


And I made a startlingly weird observation this Raksha Bandhan. Four people tie my a Rakhi. Two are my cousin sisters and two are friends. Now, two of them are called Sneha, and two are called Priyanka. Weird co-incidence (or not, conspiracy theorists). 


While the people of Kolkata are jumping at 50% sale at shops around the city, Londoners are having a gala time looting shops in theirs. When our respected Chief Minister said *Kolkata = London*, she definitely didn't think that through. Birmingham, or Burningham, as christened by The Telegraph, err, burns. Not only did the 140-year old House of Reeves burn, but also, Indian cricket team's one and a half year old No.1 rank. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.


I did manage to catch a show of Iti Mrinalini. I had my expectations so high that I ended up disappointing myself. The ending was so preposterous that I almost ended up shouting 'You gotta be kidding me.' at the theater. I came across these  amazing lines by John Keats in the movie: 


How many loved your moments of glad grace, 


And loved your beauty with love false or true,


But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,


And loved the sorrows of your changing face.


Apparently there's a tussle between Hollywood movie distributors and multiplex owners over revenue-sharing and that is a VERY bad omen for me. Having already missed Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and with some huge releases upcoming, I pray there's a quick settlement. I so wanted to watch Final Destination 5 in 3D, but that, I guess, will remain a dream. :( 


As the skies start darkening up, again, it's time to go. Will catch up later.
I leave you for the week with a song I am hooked to right now.

She's Got You High by Mumm-Ra :)




No comments:

Post a Comment