People Digging This Page :)

Sunday 21 August 2011

The Big Bongo Theory.

So we are no longer the people of West Bengal, but of Paschimbanga.
[Spell : Posh, as in 'Posha beral', or pet cat. Chim, as in Chimpanzee. Bongo, as in the Bongo drums.]


Shakespeare once famously wrote 'Much Ado About Nothing'. How apt is that title for the name-changing hiatus. After much ado, all we are left with is a name that is quite hard to pronounce for non-Bengalis and a million vehicles with WB on their license plates that now seem quite out of place.
But then again, Shakespeare also said, 'What's in a name?'. Tell that to the guys from Bihar here at my college, who are making a mess of the name.
And add to it the jokes doing the round. My favourite :


"What is this Poschim Bongo and where can I smoke it?"


Congo to the people of Bongo on our new name.


And the silver screen legend Shammi Kapoor passed away this week. What a man! And, as a tribute to the legend, one of my friends, down in sorrow, vowed to ditch Google and use Yahoo! for a week.


While one great actor passed, another pissed. That too on an aeroplane aisle. The man in question being Gerard Depardieu, the French auteur. He is one passenger (pissenger, rather) you wouldn't want on your plane.


On to my personal front.


My birthday turned out very fine. And without any fancy parties. :)
Over 300 wishes on Facebook and SMSes. And I thank you all. Even the weird ones who hadn't ever talked to before that day. :|

Met up with my school friends in the evening. Strolled on the College Street. Watched some stupid swimming contest at College Square. And relished at the Coffee House. Nostalgia was the mood. It felt nice appreciating those little moments that, at the end of the day, make an amazing birthday.


Nostalgia was also the order of the next day. Independence day, that is, for the ones who are weak with the calender. Back to school with some of my closest buddies, watching the prefect's march : something I used to be a part of and very proud of, meeting up with my teachers. Pure nostalgic fun.


And college lectures have hit an all-time low. It's an exercise in futility trying to keep my eyes open during the later stages of any double period. And the main problem, NO ONE WANNA BUNK. Suddenly everyone's so attentive and alert and responsive and regular, including the class clown Tirtho, that I feel so low having to spend the lectures texting/fighting my drooping eyelids.


Had I been able to fight my inexplicable urge to pun with Bongo, I would have called this blog 'Nostalgia' or something. Later into the week, a visit to Rupradha's house and meeting with my Holy Home friends further upped the nostalgia factor. There we were looking through old photographs and smiling at those great days gone by. :')


Ahh, what a week. :)

And yay, I finally got a camera. Its an Canon A3300 IS. Nothing exceptional, but at least we have a start. :)

Canon PowerShot A3300 IS Review Link

Time to leave you all with a song. Chose something that has suited my mood lately.
Us by Regina Spektor


Bye bye, my fellow Posh Bongs and the rest alike. ;)

1 comment: